Jul 17, 2010

A bug in tweepy streaming API

I found a bug in tweepy streaming API .
It can't filter by tag with non Latin characters.
I was astonished coz this was working when I used it some months ago (version 1.3 if I remember well).
So here is my small contribution to the project :
def filter(self, follow=None, track=None, async=False):
   params = {}
   self.headers['Content-type'] = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
should be :
def filter(self, follow=None, track=None, async=False):
   params = {}
   self.headers['Content-type'] = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=utf-8"
I have only tested streaming and only tag filtering - probably this applies to other parts but I am not sure.

Jul 9, 2010

App Engine & Google Geocoding Service II

This issue comes and goes in this thread all the time.
I also suggested in the past to delegate the job to the client since I
could't see a scenario where we use server side request and be within
the TOR's.
see here : http://gaengine.blogspot.com/2010/05/google-maps-api-quotas-and-app-engine.html
I was wrong. Recently I run into a case where I had to do this and
still I am sure I am within legal limits, this is so when you need the
geolocation service in order to publish a static map served from
So this is a real problem and the issue has to be resolved somehow,
although I think we are discussing this in the wrong group. IMO that
this is an issue for the maps group and we should adress it there.
Happy coding:-)

Update :For an alternative solution you can take a look here.